REFLECTION
ON E-LEARNING ASSIGNMENT
I was in turmoil in deciding upon the topic for my
e-learning assignments. There is such a wide scope of topics that was
applicable. I wanted to choose a topic that could be to the advantage of my own
department, students and facilitators. My teaching domain is Service Learning
(SL). I realized that I had to keep the project small and simple, and every
topic I chose turned out to be a major project!
Then came the student strikes!. The one contingency plan
after the other was made at the University and we were swamped with work to try
and catch up classes and assessments. Important classes were missed, one of
them being a class for recapping history taking in patients for the 4th
year MBChB students.
Our students follow a longitudinal SL course, and in
their 4th year there is a capstone SL module where the students have
to fully screen patients for health care problems, make a differential
diagnosis and refer them for management. To be able to do that they had to be
able to take a comprehensive history from a patient. In the past this has been
a big problem for us because the students battled with the skill. They had
learnt history taking for 3 years prior to this block, but they could not meet
the expected objectives. Even though revision material and instructions were
given on blackboard as pre-requisite to the clinical training in the community,
the students still came unprepared to the clinical sites for screening.
I implemented an additional facilitation session in class
before going to the service learning block. The standard of history taking
became better, but still some students did not know their theory, a great
embarrassment in front of the patients!
Attendance of the classes was also not satisfactory.
In my search for topics for my assignment I came upon a
video that presented history taking for medical students that I found very
good. The presenter had an informal attitude and made looking at the video a
pleasure. I posted the 3 videos on blackboard and what a great response!
Students said they were tired of reading the information, and by looking and
listening they found much more to learn.
It shows that it was never necessary for me to re-invent
the wheel – I just had to go and search on the internet
Duh Debbie!
MPhil Diseased Debbie
No comments:
Post a Comment